Money Matters

6.1 Course Fee
6.2 Personal Credit Account
6.3 Council Tax
6.4 Employment
6.5 Scholarships
6.6 College Funds
6.7 University Hardship Funds
6.8 Disability Support and Allowances
6.9 PGCE Students' Childcare Grant

6.1 Course Fees

The course fee you will be charged and the support available is determined by your fee status, which will be Home (UK & Ireland), Overseas (outside the UK & Ireland) or Islands (Channel Islands or Isle of Man).

Fee billing is always separate from the personal credit account. You should ensure that the Deputy Accountant is aware of your fee paying body before arrival. For full details of University fee liability etc. see the current copy of Examination Regulations, which is available on the University’s website.

At the end of the statutory number of terms for which full fees are required a student who is still on course will be designated a Continuing Student. Such students, whether in residence or not, will be liable for a College continuation charge (2022/23 £132) and a University continuation charge (2022/23 £548), each term until submission of their thesis. This will entitle the member to full College facilities and to continue to use dining facilities at the subsidised, student rate. Please note that unless we are advised in writing that your grant authority will pay these charges, you will be personally responsible for payment.

For those paying fees from their own funds and starting their course in Michaelmas Term, invoice will be sent out in September with payment in full for the year should be made by 3rd October. Please note that students will not be allowed to matriculate unless fees have been paid. Any proposed deviation from this should be discussed with the Accountant.

In cases of serious default of payment, the College reserves the right to refuse to endorse University forms until the debt is cleared. The College considers any debt which has remained unpaid for more than 3 months to be a serious default. You will be warned via e-mail if you are seriously in default and you will always be given ample opportunity to clear your debts before College takes such action. Any student with a potential problem in this respect is strongly advised to consult the Accountant as well as to seek the advice of their College Advisor. 

6.2 Personal Credit Account

All Current members of the college is set up with a ‘Credit Account’ which is subject to strict adherence to the College Credit Account policy (this account is typically called a Battels account in other Oxford Colleges). Membership of the College obliges everyone to pay their credit balance promptly.  

Every member should be issued on arrival with a University Card, which is an identification card, a library card, a charge card and which gives access to College security doors. This will be ready for collection from the Academic Administrator, at enrolment, as long as you have returned the card application form to the University and completed on-line enrolment. If you lose your card, this fact should be reported to the Academic Administrator who will obtain a replacement. A charge may be made for the replacement of lost cards. 

Bills must be settled with 14 days from the date which they are received. Payment of your credit account should be done via the college’s payment platform which can be found on the college webpage.  

In the case of severe financial difficulty, members should contact the College Accountant before the payment becomes due. Failure to make satisfactory arrangements could lead to the invalidation of a member's card. Any queries about billing should be raised as soon as possible with the Accounts Office.  

Credit Accounts may only be settled by card payment unless the member has made an arrangement with the Accountant to pay by another method in advance. Any unpaid debts over 3 months old may be reported to the Governing Body.

6.3 Council Tax

Students outside of college accommodation will need to claim a student exemption on receipt of a demand from the City Council. An Enrolment Certificate for this purpose can be obtained from the Student  Self-Service  section of the University’s website, then signed and stamped by the Academic Administrator.

6.4 Employment

The University recognises that some graduate students will want to undertake a limited amount of paid work during their studies, whether as part of their academic development (e.g. teaching and demonstrating) or to help to support themselves financially.  University guidelines on paid work aim to ensure that any paid work undertaken does not adversely affect students’ success in their studies or their ability to complete their course on time. In addition, some graduates will have prescribed limits on how many hours’ paid work they can do, which must be observed: for example, graduates funded by research councils and some other scholarships, and those graduates with student visas.

Overseas students are entitled to work in the UK subject to certain conditions. The maximum hours you can work during term-time are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). For most students holding a student visa this will be up to 20 hours a week during term time, if you are studying at degree level or above at Oxford University. You should seek permission from your supervisor or course director before taking employment. For further information please see Working while studying | University of Oxford

6.5 Scholarships

Reuben College offers an array of graduate scholarships at admission, and a central University website provides a search for scholarships.

6.6 College Funds

Reuben College is able to provide a range of grants to its graduate students. The size and use of grants are specified so as to allow benefits to be shared among students, while adapting to the changing circumstances and needs of students.

Grants may be applied for under three main categories:

Grants for Academic Related Activities

Each fee-paying graduate student may claim up to £225 per annum for academic-related support.  This includes conference support, language or other academic courses, and/or relevant expenses. This can be rolled-over for whilst within fee-paying liability at Rebeun and will be dispersed by accounts following application and assessment as below. Most awards will require sign-off from the College Advisor and/or, if unavailable, the Senior Tutor. Part-time students to be eligible to this same funding on a pro-rata basis.

Grants towards Unexpected Hardship

From time-to-time, we know that current students may face unexpected financial hardship due to sudden changes in their circumstances. Such changes can of course cause worry and concern. We'd encourage any Reuben student who finds themselves in financial hardship to discuss their concerns with the College as soon as possible. Please contact Tania Boyt ( in the first instance. To support current students, the College operates its own local Hardship Fund and grants and loans are made from this throughout the year.

Grants administered under Discretionary Support

All graduate students registered with the University’s Disability Advisory Service may apply to the college for a contribution to academic-related costs recommended within a Student Support Plan but not provided for within the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) or by other means. Grants will not normally exceed £100 for equipment, £50 per annum for photocopying and consumables and no award is given automatically

Reuben’s financial support webpages provide information on these, grants for group/theme based academic activities and on how to discuss accessing emergency support outside the termly meetings of Graduate Finance Committee.

Students facing unexpected hardship are advised also to refer to the University’s finance pages at:

The Oxford Student Union’s Student Advice Service (SAS) can also be contacted confidentially for support on budgeting and financial planning:

6.7 University Hardship Funds

Hardship funding including the Covid-19 Assistance Fund (CAF) may be provided by the University to help students who experience unexpected financial hardship. Students must be able to demonstrate that something that they could not have foreseen before their course commenced has led to their original budget no longer being valid. Awards vary according to individual circumstances but range from £100 to £6,000; awards at the highest level will usually be a combination of a grant and a loan.

Application is made on a form which can be obtained from the Bursar. It should be noted that the College has to verify the applicant's statement of estimated income for the period for which a grant is being asked, and that the Committee is unlikely to make a grant unless the College supports the application. It is essential therefore for anyone wishing to make an application to discuss the matter first with the College.

6.8 Disability Support and Allowances

There are a wide range of individual adjustments and study support available for disabled students, and the University’s Disability Advisory Service (DAS) will help you determine what support is appropriate for you at Oxford. Sadly, support or funding is not provided for:

  • Daily living support (for UK students, the local authority service in your home remains responsible for social and personal care and non-study-related support)
  • Medical support

Students facing unexpected academic-related costs by virtue of any disability are advised to discuss this with the Senior Tutor or Academic Administrator, who may be able to suggest an application to the DAS or College’s discretionary support fund.

6.9 PGCE Students’ Childcare Grant

UK PGCE students may be eligible for a grant from their regional funding body. You should apply for the Childcare Grant when you apply to your regional funding body for financial support.